Frequently Asked Questions
- What services does the Math Center provide?
We provide one-on-one or small group tutoring to students having difficulties in their math class(s). We can also help with test preparation and general study skills. We offer organized final exam prep sessions in the fall and spring semesters. We also provide Accuplacer review sessions for incoming students and math boot camps before fall and spring semesters.
- If I miss a class, can the tutors teach the material I missed?
If you have to miss a class, you need to do the following: First contact your instructor to find out what you missed. Remember that your instructors have office hours to help you as needed. Try to obtain a copy of the notes you missed from your instructor or a fellow classmate. READ the section(s) from the book along with the examples in your text. If you have questions after doing this, come to see the tutors. Our tutors are a select group of students that have been recommended by faculty and with exemplary academic credentials. You may also make an appointment to see Jerry Vincent, Math Center Coordinator.
- Can the tutors help with all the math classes taught at Allen?
- When I come for tutoring, what should I bring?
Bring in your textbooks and all notes from your class. Tutors will often want to look at your notes to know what your instructor expects from you.
- If I am taking an online math class, is it OK for me to work online in the tutoring area and ask for assistance as needed?
You bet! Just remember that the tutors will not be able to help you if you are working on a test or quiz.
- When I’ve been getting help from a tutor, he/she worked the problem differently than the instructor. Is that OK?
There are many ways of setting up and working out math problems. If one way does not make sense, often another approach will. If your instructor insists that certain types of problems be done a certain way, let us know that. Otherwise, look at the alternative approach with an open mind.
- Is tutoring available after the “tutoring centers” are closed or if a tutor is unavailable for the subject in which I need help?
Absolutely! NetTutor provides 24/7 personal tutoring. It’s a pre-paid service available to all Allen students through Blackboard at no cost to the students.