Upon completion of the newspaper program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the elements involved in identifying and valuing news stories and subjects.
- Apply foundational news-gathering techniques to the planning, preparation and interviewing process.
- Execute sound journalism principles, styles, and techniques in writing articles.
- Evaluate possible illustrative elements for articles and collect photographs and/or other graphics to accompany news stories.
- Develop good collaborative skills in editing others’ stories and participating with the newspaper staff in a team atmosphere.